On 16 January 2019, the IP5 Industry Consultation Group (ICG) met at the EPO in The Hague, Netherlands, to take stock of progress in the harmonisation endeavours within the IP5 Patent Harmonisation Expert Panel (PHEP) and discuss potential IP5 initiatives in the area of new emerging technologies including artificial intelligence (AI).
The ICG meeting was held jointly with the IP5 Global Dossier Task Force (GDTF) meeting. Due to a partial shutdown of the government of the United States, the USPTO was unable to participate at these meetings.
The presentations at the third IP5 ICG meeting included:
New emerging technologies and AI
- Report on outcome of IP5 expert round table on artificial intelligence (presented by the EPO)
IP5 PHEP: update on progress, future work
- Unity of invention (presented by the EPO)
- Citation of prior art - Current status & next steps (presented by KIPO)
- Written Description/Sufficiency of Disclosure (presented by the JPO)
- Discussion on the future work of the IP5 PHEP (presented by the EPO)
Next IP5 Heads with IP5 Industry meeting
- Next IP5 Heads with IP5 Industry meeting and proposed approach to strategic topics (presented by KIPO)